Sunday, July 6, 2008

Training Begins

A few days ago, I picked up the July ’08 magazine issue of Runner’s World that I brought from home (Thank you, Sean & Cherry, for that Christmas gift!) for motivation and inspiration. After notification of our Australia six month adventure, all of my exercise activities had stopped. It had been at least two months since I’ve ran and exercised. Oh and was I feeling the effects. I turned to page 12 and13. My eyes were in disbelief. If you have the magazine, you will get a glimpse of the running trail I had already scouted and walked. (For those of you, who do not have the magazine, try this site: runnersworld.com/raverun.) I’ll have to get Scott to take a picture of me running the trail, just like in the magazine. On Monday, June 30th, I ran for the first time here (and in months). How I wish you running buddies of mine could be here with me to experience it. (Invite is always there! Come when you can!) It was such a beautiful, peaceful, and challenging run. The challenge would be the inclines and hills. I’m a flat foot Florida girl! After a two month hiatus, the next month will be light running – one to two miles for four times a week. Not having the internet to show the mileage for this route, I used my trusty Garmin for help. Unfortunately I pushed the wrong button and only got the time. I’ll have to find out next time how far I went. I am guessing close to two miles, or if not, I was really slow!

Question for my running buddies: How should I end training for the upcoming January 11th Marathon run? I am using the training schedule from Marathonrookie.com. It’s a 16 week training schedule, but I am due back home December 11th, and it will take a week or two for my body to adjust back from the jetlag. If you guys don’t mind looking at the schedule at the website, I would love to hear your advice. My initial plan is to start the training program the third or fourth week in August, but then try to stagger it where I’m doing the last three weeks, the actual last three weeks before the race. I would really appreciate any comments, advice, and assistance on this. Thank you guys!

No comments: