Sunday, June 29, 2008

Grocery Store





The two main grocery stores are the ones I’ve mentioned before, Woolworth’s and Coles. We have found Coles to be our favorite one. The prices seem much more reasonable. I never thought it would be difficult to go grocery shopping here. But with different brands and ways of using the same English language – it takes us double to triple the time to obtain groceries than before. I managed enough courage to take a few snap shots of what it looks like inside. I’ll try to capture more another time. I found it interesting that they place the eggs on the aisle. Packaging is not labeled properly. It might take awhile of staring at it before you realize what it is. And forget trying to figure out the nutritional break down on the box of something – I need a class in US to Australian conversion rates, plus it is not as detailed as back home. In order to get in the store, you must go through a gate, and to leave you must go through the check out aisle. The aisles are small. Also, it’s not easy finding certain foods like hotdogs. The ones we have found are disgusting – except at IKEA. Buying in bulk is impossible. They have set it up where you must go to the grocery store several times a week. We saw on the news last week that they are building a Costco in Melbourne, and promise that the prices will be the same as in the US. I’ll keep you posted on anything else that comes up in terms of food shopping.

1 comment:

Sheila G said...

So, do they make "rice bubble treats" ?

:)