Monday, March 23, 2009

Cast On!

Yesterday, on top of his fracture, my little man started to come down with what we think might be the flu. He has chills, aches, fever, coughing and congestion. It was a no brainer to keep him home today. Once Morgan was dropped off at school, I began the task of calling orthopedic doctors. My first call had me on hold for over 15 minutes. I never spoke to a "real" person either. The automated voice informed me to leave my information so once an office member had the time, they would call me back. (Haven't heard from them yet.) My second call went a bit better. Within the second ring, a real person answered the phone, but put me on hold for ten minutes. Just as I was about to hang up and try again, she came right back, apologized for the wait and had Mason's appointment set up for 1 PM.

Before we left, I drugged up Mason as best I could so he could manage to function out in public. My active boy only wanted to stay in bed. He was SO out of it. The staff and doctor were great. They were very professionly, quick and thorough. I think the entire visit took about 4o minutes including wait time. With a rainbow assortment of colors, Mason chose red for his cast color. Our insurance does not cover the waterproof ones, but for only $30 it was well worth spending the money. He has to wear it for four weeks, no sling (Yeah - it was hurting his neck.), and the best part - he can use his fingers! He's excited about it since now he can play video games. I'm excited about it because he's got no excuse to at least try to use that hand!

Once we came home, all Mason wanted to do was stay in bed. After watching PBS for a couple of hours, he crashed and has been asleep ever since. Hopefully all this rest will help him recover quickly. And so the countdown begins - Cast off on April 23rd!

Mason was complaining about his palm last night. This is what we found after unwrapping the ace bandage. Actually this is normal to see.


Modern Technology!

He was a bit nervous at first. Once the material is wet and placed around the white padding, it starts to bond producing heat. That didn't go over so well at first.

A blank canvas, just waiting for a whole bunch of signatures. I was surprised he picked red. His favorite colors are blue and green. Great choice, Mason! Love the red!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

The flu on top of his injury...poor, poor sweet Mason. Glad the cast is on, and we can get rid of the sling. Let the countdown begin! Love the red. Very cool and very hip. The girls will swarm :)