Female horse and deer flies are vicious, painful biters. They feed on the blood of cattle, horses, mules, hogs, dogs, deer, other warm-blooded animals, and even humans. These flies cut through the skin with their knife-like mouthparts and suck the blood for several minutes. When they fly away, a drop or two of blood usually exudes from the wound, permitting secondary feeding sites for other nuisance insects.Biting deer flies frequently attack humans along summer beaches, near streams, and at the edges of moist, wooded areas. Some people, when bitten, suffer severe lesions, high fever, and even general disability. Symptoms are allergic reactions to hemorrhagic saliva poured into the wound to prevent clotting while the fly is feeding. A person can become increasingly sensitive to repeated bites.
Due to construction and the removal of cattle around our area, the deer flies had to find a new source of food. They like to attack from May to September around dawn and dusk. My first encounter was in June 2005, and then again a couple months later. But then that was it… until construction started up again a few months ago. Yesterday I was bitten three times, once of the top of my left foot, twice on my left leg. I was really nervous this time. The pain, itching and swelling for just one bit is quite intense. What was I in store for this time? I found out my answer several hours later when I could not sleep. Below is what my leg and foot looked like the next day. The only thing that gave me some relief was maximum strength Cortizone 10 which lasted maybe an hour. Please make sure if you see a deer fly, get away from it. Do not let this happen to you! Hopefully this will look better soon. In the meantime, I’m staying inside!





1 comment:
You poor, poor thing. That's awful. If I were you I would be on Benadryl, Cortisone, sleeping pills AND be making a call to the doc.
Post a Comment