Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hit the Line Hard…

In life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard.

Theodore Roosevelt

And in life, during the month of August we did just that, but ended up getting tackled by the line literally and figuratively during the first few weeks. Mason and Morgan have eagerly talked about playing tackle football and cheer for over a year now. So we geared up for it… We went to all the team meetings, read all the league emails, heard all the stories from seasoned football parents and knew all about the six hours of practice (10 during the first two weeks), but it did not truly “hit” us until the inaugural LNJL practice sessions and season began! During those first few weeks, there were some aches, pains and complaints… but never from our kids! (That would be from us! LOL!) Never once has M & M complained about playing in the cruel Florida August heat! I also “hit the line hard” by signing up to be one of the assistant cheer coaches for Morgan’s squad. I had NO idea what I was getting myself into, but the learning process has been an incredible experience. There have been some ups and downs both on and off the field, but overall it is amazing to see these boys and girls come together as a team as well as parents and coaches working hard to instill knowledge, training, encouragement and support. As I look across the field each week, I can’t help but smile thinking that these players will most likely play together through high school. They are creating more than just memories, but friendships, bonds and skills that will last a lifetime. And in the meantime, we will continue to hit the line hard every week from now until the last game of the season! Go Lions!

2 comments:

Amy Morris said...

Oh, they are so cute! You're an awesome mom Stef and an angel for volunteering all of your time as a coach! As crazy as football and cheer has been, I'm still glad we signed up :) Go Lions!

Tracy said...

Clear eyes, full hearts...can't lose.

You are a super mom.